by Brad Fenson - Thursday, May 5, 2016
Hunters can tire of the same old recipes to use up their grind or minced meat from animals harvested over the year. If you’re looking for something new and exciting that will tantalize the taste buds of everyone in your family, whip up a batch of chimichangas. They can be made of moose, elk, deer, caribou or any of your favorite venison.
• 1 ½ – 2 lbs ground venison, crumbled
• 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 10-12 flour tortillas (10-inch)
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes with chilies
• ¼ cup water
• 3 Tbsp. chili powder
• 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
• 3 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1. Heat oven to 450 °F. Cook meat, onion, and garlic over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink. Drain if needed.
2. Add tomatoes, water, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and cinnamon to skillet. Bring to a simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until the liquid is nearly gone but the mixture is still moist, stirring occasionally. Spoon about ½ cup meat mixture onto center of each tortilla and add some shredded cheese.
3. Fold bottom third of tortilla over the filling. Fold in sides. Brush top edge of tortilla with the beaten egg (to make it stick together). Fold down top of tortilla to seal. Repeat with remaining tortillas and meat mixture. Place chimichangas seam-side down on a parchment lined baking sheet (or any casserole dish).
4. Brush tops of chimichangas with melted butter. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until tops are browned. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado and salsa.
E-mail your comments/questions about this site to:
For questions/comments about American Hunter magazine, please e-mail:
You can contact the NRA via phone at: NRA Member Programs
To advertise on American Hunter, visit nramediakit.com for more information
Get the American Hunter Insider newsletter for at-a-glance access to industry news, gear, gun reviews, videos and more—delivered directly to your Inbox.