Wild-game meatballs are easy to make. However, there is usually a debate on the need to add pork. This recipe uses breadcrumbs, milk and egg to add and maintain moisture in the meatballs, and it works. These 100 percent wild-game meatballs are full of flavor without foregoing the health benefits of eating wild. Part of the moisture maintenance is baking the meatballs rather than frying them.
The Mongolian sauce is an excellent addition, although the meatballs could be eaten on their own. Sauced and garnished with toasted sesame seeds allows you to serve the meatballs as an hors d’oeuvre or as a meal with rice.
Venison Meatball Ingredients
• 1½ lbs. ground venison
• ⅔ cup breadcrumbs
• ⅔ cup milk
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 large egg
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp seasoned salt (Bearded Butcher Original)
• 1 tsp black pepper
Mongolian Sauce Ingredients
• ½ cup water
• ⅓ cup brown sugar
• ¼ cup soy sauce
• 4 cloves garlic, pressed
• 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
• 1 Tbsp Siracha sauce
• 2 tsp sesame oil
• ¼ cup oyster sauce
• ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
• ¼ tsp black pepper
• 2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
1. Place the oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. For easy clean-up, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the meatball ingredients until uniform. Do not overwork the meat.
3. Form a heaping tablespoon of the meatball mixture into 1-inch balls. Place the meatballs on the baking sheet and bake in hot oven for 10 minutes or until brown and cooked through.
4. While the meatballs are baking, combine all the Mongolian sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk the ingredients to blend and bring to a simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Stir frequently.
5. At the same time, heat a frying pan over medium heat and sprinkle in the sesame seeds. Stir until toasted and brown.
6. Remove the cooked meatballs from the oven and place them in a serving bowl. Pour the sauce over the meatballs. Garnish with the toasted sesame seeds.
For more delicious wild-game recipes, click here.