Goose legs and thighs are often the best part of the bird, especially when braised until tender. Browning the legs for flavor, then braising them in a liquid or sauce is a terrific way to create fall-off-the-bone goose treats with a sauce that will inspire you to hunt more geese.
When cleaning the legs and thighs, remove as one piece by cutting the hip joint where it meets the pelvis. The thigh can be pulled backward to pop the joint at the hip open for easy removal. Plucked legs and thighs will have more flavor, and if you skin them, make sure to leave any excess fat attached to the meat. The fat will render out when cooked and provide incredible essence to your dish.
This recipe works well for any wild goose. Big honkers may take an extra hour or two in the slow cooker, but are easy to check with a fork to see when they are done. Specklebelly and snow goose legs are spectacular—pun intended.
• 10 goose legs and thighs
• 1 cup flour
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons oil
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 2 cups chicken broth
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ½ cup honey
• ¼ cup soy sauce
• 6 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced
• ½ cup water
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Combine chicken broth, brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes.
2. Whisk water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Pour into the saucepan and allow the sauce to thicken, which takes about 5 minutes.
3. Separate goose legs from thighs by cutting through the knee joint.
4. Place the flour, pepper and salt in a zipper bag and shake to mix. Add the legs and thighs, and seal the bag. Toss until the flesh of legs and thighs are coated with flour mixture.
5. Heat oil and butter to medium-high in a cast iron skillet and add the legs and thighs. Brown all sides.
6. Place the legs and thighs in a slow cooker and pour the sauce over the top. Set it to cook on high for 4 hours.
7. Remove the legs and thighs and serve immediately with a side of sauce.
*If you need a slow cooker or meat processing equipment, visit westonsupply.com and enter code BFENSON19 at checkout to receive 25% off.