If you’re a hunter, you are likely a carnivore. Eating meat is a bonus of our favorite pastime, and the best way to celebrate being a meat eater is to incorporate it into your entire meal.
If you like pizza, you’re going to love building a pie with a meat crust. That’s right—a meat crust—topped with tomato sauce, more meat, some veggies and lots of cheese. Do we have your attention yet?
Venison makes a great meat crust, but breadcrumbs, milk and eggs are required to bind the crust together and keep it firm to lift off a pan when loaded with toppings. Here’s how you construct a Meatza Deluxe.
Meat Pie Crust Ingredients
• 1½ lbs. ground venison
• ½ cup breadcrumbs
• ¼ cup milk
• 2 eggs
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Mix all ingredients thoroughly and spread evenly on a 14-inch Camp Chef cast iron pizza pan (a regular pizza pan will work, too). Push the meat to the edges of the pan until spread evenly. Form a raised edge on the meat to help hold the toppings.
2. Bake the meat crust at 400°F for 15 minutes, remove from oven and pour off any liquid or grease, or dab with a paper towel.
Meatza Deluxe Ingredients
• ½ cup pizza sauce
• 12 slices pepperoni (enough to evenly cover the sauce)
• ¼ yellow onion, sliced thin
• 3 large mushrooms, sliced
• ¼ large red pepper, sliced thin
• Any other pizza toppings you like
• 1½ cups grated cheese—mozzarella or a blend with cheddar
1. Spread pizza sauce evenly on the meat crust.
2. Add meat, vegetables, and then cheese to evenly cover the pie.
3. Bake the meatza at 400°F for 10 minutes, then broil for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.
4. Slice and serve.
For more delicious wild-game recipes, click here.