Here are 10 simple safety tips that every hunter should keep in mind when utilizing a treestand.
1. Always wear a fall-arrest system/full-body harness meeting Treestand Manufacturer’s Association (TMA) standards when your feet leave the ground.
2. Always use a treestand that meets TMA standards; never use homemade stands or any stand that has been altered.
3. Always read and understand all instructions accompanying harnesses and treestands; practice with them before use.
4. Never exceed recommended weight limits.
5. Always inspect equipment before and after use.
6. Always tell others of your plans. Hunt with a buddy nearby when possible.
7. Always carry some combination of emergency signal devices on your person: whistle, radio, flare, cell phone.
8. Always select the proper tree for use with your treestand.
9. Always use a haul line to pull up gear; never climb without two free hands.
10. Never hurry.
For more tips, go to tmastands.com.