If you’re looking for the most rugged hunting experience in the heart of big-game territory, you know that finding the right spike camp gear is critical. You’ll need durable, lightweight gear that’s easily portable. At SHOT Show 2018, we were on the hunt for great new spike camp products. If you’re in the market for new gear, Browning Camping has you covered with these six new products.
1. Granite Creek Tent The Granite Creek tent is a new lightweight, durable tent designed specifically for hunting camp. At only 5 pounds for the one person model, this free-standing pole system tent comes with 7,000 series aluminum poles and vertical walls to maximize interior space. It features a high quality polyester fly with 1500mm coating to resist UV damage, factory-sealed fly and floor seams to provide best-in-class weather protection, and weatherproof fly buckles to maximize adjustability and protection.
Fully assembled, this tent offers 20 square feet of space, and packed size is only 7x18 inches. The two person model weighs 5 pounds, 10 ounces, offers 29.3 square feet of space and easily packs away at just 8 x 18 inches. If you’re looking for the best quality and lightest-weight tent for your camp, the Granite Creek tent is the right product for you. One person model MSRP: $119.99, two person model MSRP: $149.99; browningcamping.com.
2. Boulder Tent Browning Camping designed the Boulder tent for the hunter looking for an extra comfortable and roomy home during camp. It’s a two person tent that features a full-front awning allowing full viewing, even in poor weather. It comes with a full-coverage fly for maximum protection, mesh roof vents for improved circulation, extra guy-outs on the fly to stabilize the tent in bad weather and a zip-opening inner tent to easily access the fly vent.
This free-standing system comes with 7,075 aluminum stakes and large #8 zippers on doors and vestibules. Assembled, the Boulder offers 33 square feet of space, plus 19 square feet of vestibule area. It weighs slightly more than the Granite Creek tent at 8 pounds, 6 ounces, and packs away at 7x20 inches, but it offers more space for poor weather viewing with its generous vestibule area. MSRP: $219.99; browningcamping.com.
3. Refuge Sleeping Bag With this high performance sleeping bag, you can get up on those frigid mornings in the field, zip open your armholes and enjoy a hot cup of coffee without even having to get out of your sleeping bag. The Refuge sleeping bag offers TechLoft Gold insulation to keep you nice and toasty, nylon ripstop outer fabric for durability, and functional zippered armholes for maximum ventilation and freedom to reach out of your sleeping bag. It’s easily packable at 3 pounds, 8 ounces, and it comes with a compression stuff sack for quick and easy packing. Standard fill (+15 degrees) MSRP: $99.99; Double fill (-10 degrees) MSRP: $129.99; browningcamping.com.
4. Timber Seat The new self-inflating cushioned Timber Seat comes in Realtree Edge camo and features Jet Stream polyurethane open-cell foam for faster inflating and deflating. The non-corrosive brass valve ensures long-term durability, and the lightweight 75D polyester fabric on top and bottom provides maximum resilience to the elements. This seat easily packs away in the included stuff-sack at 4x14 inches and just 7 ounces. MSRP: $19.99; browningcamping.com.
5. Timber Air Pad The Timber Air Pad is a great choice if you’re looking for fast and easy camp setup and disassembly. This self-inflating, open-cell foam mattress in Realtree Edge comes with elastic bands, a stuff sack and repair kit. It’s made from lightweight 75D polyester fabric for maximum durability. The tapered shape reduces weight and trims down packed size, ultimately taking up only 6x23 inches in your pack, and weighing only 2 pounds. Regular size MSRP: $54.99; Long size MSRP: $69.99; browningcamping.com.
6. Ruckus USB Rechargeable Lantern This lightweight, durable lantern offers up to seven days of battery life and a USB power bank that allows for easy mobile phone charging while in the field. The new Ruckus USB Rechargeable Lantern is 7.5 inches tall, only weighs 1 pound, 7 ounces with batteries, and recharges in just five hours from most AC power sources. The USB charging port features a waterproof cover, and the lantern itself is waterproof up to 33 feet—and it floats. It’ll hold a battery charge for up to one and a half years, and is ultra-rugged, surviving drop testing from 16 feet without any functional damage. It comes with four different modes: full power white light, warm area light, stealth green lighting, and an emergency strobe. MSRP: $99.99; browningcamping.com.