Great American Outdoors Act Signed Into Law

posted on August 4, 2020
In a historic move, President Donald Trump has signed the Great American Outdoors Act (GAOA) into law today, August 4, 2020. The bill brings critical funding to the Land and Water Conservation Fund, to the tune of $900 million annually, reestablishing the original commitment from 1963. The GAOA does not stop there, of course. Further, it establishes the National Parks and Public Lands Legacy Fund, which will be funded with up to $1.9 billion per year, over five years. According to Secretary of the Interior, David Bernhardt, this will be, "utilized to address the United States’ significant maintenance backlog at national parks, wildlife refuges, public lands and even Indian schools."

The breakdown of the funding will be as follows: 40 percent of the money will go to state and local governments for land conservation and recreational facilities. The remaining 60 percent will stay with the federal government to expand land acquisitions and recreational facilities. 

For more information on Secretary Bernhardt's on-the-record address on the subject, check out coverage over at


Herman Shooting Impulse Mountain Hunter
Herman Shooting Impulse Mountain Hunter

#SundayGunday: Savage Impulse Mountain Hunter

Get a closer look at the Savage Impulse Mountain Hunter, the latest addition to our #SundayGunday series.

Behind the Bullet: 30 Nosler

If you’re a velocity hound, the 30 Nosler is among the fastest .30-caliber cartridges housed in a long-action receiver.

First Look: Davidson's Exclusive Howa Superlite

Davidson’s has introduced its latest Exclusive rifle, produced in conjunction with Legacy Sports International and Howa: a brand-new Superlite.

Recipe: Deep-Fried Game Birds

The most popular bird to eat in America is chicken, and arguably the tastiest way to cook chicken is deep fried. So, why not cook our game birds the same way?

Tag Team: How to Draw a Tag for Western Big-Game Hunting

Drawing the right limited-entry tag paves the way for the hunt of a lifetime, but the application process can be confusing. Using a professional licensing service streamlines the process and increases your odds of success.

QuietKat to Boost Support for Hunter Education

QuietKat Electric Bikes has announced it will be donating products to help raise money for the International Hunter Education Association (IHEA-USA). It joins Federal Ammunition in this support and investment.


Get the best of American Hunter delivered to your inbox.