by American Hunter Staff - Wednesday, August 2, 2017
The NRA Foundation awarded a total of $22,500 in college scholarships to attendees of the 2017 NRA Youth Education Summit (Y.E.S.), a seven-day educational experience in Washington, D.C., for rising high school juniors and seniors, held this year from July 24-30.
The Youth Education Summit encourages young adults to become active and knowledgeable U.S. citizens by learning about the Constitution, Bill of Rights and the federal government. Since the program’s inception in 1996, more than $540,000 in scholarships has been awarded to participants. The following students received scholarships based on their display of leadership qualities and performance in debates and speeches conducted over the course of the week.
2017 Y.E.S. End-of-Week Scholarships:
• $3,500: Rylie Pennell, Warrenton, Virginia
• $3,500: Simon Sefzik, Ferndale, Washington
• $2,500: Denise Shaffer, Houston, Texas
• $2,500: Peter Leonard, Tallahassee, Florida
• $2,500: Allen Slaughter, Frankfort, Kentucky
• $2,000: Kaitlyn Callaway, Tuscola, Texas
• $2,000: Gage Paris, Black Forest, Colorado
• $1,000: Sophia Puliafico, Juneau, Alaska
• $1,000: Amby Tierney, Cohasset, Massachusetts
• $1,000: Krzysztof Gajda, Rockford, Illinois
• $1,000: Cristina Lee, Gilbert, Arizona
For more information, go to YES.NRA.org.
E-mail your comments/questions about this site to:
For questions/comments about American Hunter magazine, please e-mail:
You can contact the NRA via phone at: NRA Member Programs
To advertise on American Hunter, visit nramediakit.com for more information
Get the American Hunter Insider newsletter for at-a-glance access to industry news, gear, gun reviews, videos and more—delivered directly to your Inbox.