by Brad Fenson - Thursday, December 21, 2017
Some snacks and appetizers are common throughout all of North America. Crackers and cheese are a staple for entertaining, and they provide an excellent lunch in the field, fill a void when you have the growlies and are easy to prepare. There are comfort foods, which make you feel warm and cozy, like when you pull the covers over your head in a chilly hunting cabin. A good meatloaf certainly fits the definition of comfort food for most people.
When you mix popular snacks and comfort food, you get a meal that tastes great, fills you up and makes you look forward to leftovers the next day. And the best part is that the dish is easy to make with little cleanup. You might consider making two at a time, as meatloaf sandwiches are hard to beat while out hunting. Here’s how you make it.
• 1 ½ lbs ground venison
• 1 egg
• 1 cup milk
• 1 cup cheddar, shredded (substitute your favorite cheese to make it more comforting)
• ½ sleeve of saltine crackers, finely crushed
• 1 small onion, diced
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• ¾ cup ketchup
• ½ cup brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp mustard
*add some of your favorite seasonings, like Camp Chef Kickin’ BBQ, Hi Mountain Cajun, or Bearded Butcher Original or Chipotle to customize taste.
1. Beat egg and milk in a bowl, then stir in cheese, crackers, onion, pepper and salt.
2. Add ground venison to the mixture and blend completely.
3. Shape into a loaf about 3-inches thick, and place on a greased baking dish.
4. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and any additional spices to make a thick sauce and spread it over the surface of the meatloaf.
5. Bake in a 350 F oven, uncovered for 1 hour. Or, place in a Camp Chef SmokePro to add a smoky flavor while cooking.
E-mail your comments/questions about this site to:
For questions/comments about American Hunter magazine, please e-mail:
You can contact the NRA via phone at: NRA Member Programs
To advertise on American Hunter, visit nramediakit.com for more information
Get the American Hunter Insider newsletter for at-a-glance access to industry news, gear, gun reviews, videos and more—delivered directly to your Inbox.