Earlier this year, Leupold introduced its new VX-5HD riflescope. At its core, it's something of a junior version of the company's VX-6HD—but that doesn't mean it's skimping on features. And it's built with hunters in mind. Here are five things you need to know.
1. It features the Twilight Max Light Management System. Light management means delivering usable light to your eye and forming a high-quality image, and Leupold prides itself on the capabilities of its Twilight Max Light Management System. It utilizes proprietary lens coatings to maximize the light transmission in blue colors, since the human eye is more sensitive to blue in low light. Red colors, too, are maximized, since they’re commonly found in hunting scenarios. At the end of the day, what it means is that you’re going to be able to pick out your quarry for those important extra few minutes before legal light ends.
2. Models featuring the Leupold CDS system are available. The VX-5HD line features four CDS-ZL2 (Custom Dial System ZeroLock 2) variants. Never used a CDS scope? Then pay attention. If you purchase a Leupold Optic and tell them that you’d like to set it up with a CDS, the company will customize your scope’s elevation dial to match your exact load, velocity and conditions. Once you range your target, you’ll be able to turn the dial to the correct position, put your crosshairs dead on the target and squeeze the trigger. You get one free Custom Ballistic Dial with your purchase, too. The ZeroLock 2 system, meanwhile, locks the elevation dial in place so it cannot be inadvertently rotated of zero.
3. Six models are available now. Out of the gate, the VX-5HD will be available in six configurations: VX-5HD 1-5x24mm, VX-5HD 1-5x24mm CDS-ZL2, VX-5HD 2-10x42mm CDS-ZL2, VX-5HD 2-10x42mm, VX-5HD 3-15x56mm CDS-ZL2 and VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2. The most basic VX-5HD’s ship with an MSRP around $909, while the most tricked out start at $1,429.
4. Illuminated Reticles are available. If you’re looking for a scope that’s going to make the most of low-light conditions, you’ll almost certainly want an illuminated reticle. They’re just darn handy. Illuminated reticles are available with five of the six VX-5HD models, excluding only the VX-5HD 2-10x42mm.
5. Accessories are available. The VX-5HD ships with bungee style lens covers, but Leupold has always been good about making accessories available out of the gate. For a reasonable fee, you can add Alumina Flapjack Lens covers or a reversible throw lever to your purchase.